The time has come to bring up a very important topic on my blog… CHEESE!
Anyone who knows me knows that I am a fiend for cheese and I have very high standards. Unfortunately, dairy-free cheeses do not have the best reputation because they either taste terrible, do not melt or have funky textures. Although I have not ventured into creating my own solid cheeses yet, I have experimented with nacho-style cheese and I think I am on to something.
To make matters even better, this recipe has no soaking of cashews involved. The consistency is perfect to pour all over your favorite mexi bowl, chips, tacos or even in a crunch wrap.
Vegan Nacho Cheese (DF + NF)
- 1 large russet potato, diced
- 1 whole carrot, diced (or 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/8 tsp. onion powder
- 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- dash of turmeric
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp+ 2 tsp olive oil
- Add diced carrots and potatoes to boiling water. Boil for about 15-20 minutes, or until soft.
- Drain. Let cool for a few minutes while adding the rest of the listed ingredients to a high-speed blender. Then add potatoes and carrots. Blend until smooth.
- Add to your favorite recipe or use as a chip dip! You can keep this cheese in the fridge for 5-7 days in an airtight container.