There is something so comforting about a big, balanced breakfast to get your day started. My favorite diners are the ones that serve food your mom would make you at home. Not the fancy Belgian waffles or crepes, but the plates of breakfast food and regular toast with jam and butter.
Mmmmm. I love tofu because its so versatile and has no flavor so it can become so many things. It is the perfect effort replacement for scrambled because the texture is identical!
Vegan Breakfast Scramble
- 8oz organic firm tofu
- Grapeseed or olive oil
- 1-2 potatoes, cubed
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- pinch of salt and pepper
- A few handfuls of kale
FOR THE SAUCE
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- vegan chorizo, avocado, salsa, cilantro
- Press water out of tofu by using a tofu press if you have one, or placing the tofu on a plate lined with a few paper towels. Place more paper towels on top of the tofu and place a heavy pan on top for at least 15 minutes.
- While tofu is draining, prepare the sauce. Add the spices and add some water until it is a pourable consistency. Set aside.
- Chop the potatoes and kale. Season the potatoes with paprika and pinch each salt and pepper. Warm a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1-2 tablespoon of oil and then the potatoes. Stir occasionally if sticking. Cover and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until potatoes are softened but still firm.
- Add kale, season with a bit more salt and pepper. Cover to steam for 5 minutes. Mix with potatoes in the pan.
- Unwrap tofu and fork it unto small pieces. Don’t over do it.
- Move the veggies to one side of the pan using a spatula. Add tofu to the other side of the pan and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add most of the sauce to the tofu and a small amount over the kale and potatoes. Stir tofu and make sure the sauce is distributed well. Continue to cook until tofu is slightly browned, about 8 minutes.
- Warm up some vegan chorizo and slice up avocado or cilantro.