(Scroll down to the bottom for the recipe, I got a little chatty today.)
Recently I decided to eliminate gluten from my diet. I have made efforts to decrease my intake but for the first time, our grocery list was completely gluten free. From what I have learned from auto immune disorders, some are triggered by gluten and you can’t just kinda be gluten free. Even the smallest amounts can cause your body to attack itself, and in my case, it would attack my thyroid leaving me with joint pain, tired, moody, anxious and with a face, back and neck full of breakouts.
After cutting out dairy, decreasing refined sugars and oils, cleaning up my cosmetics and sticking to a skincare routine- I thought for sure my skin would clear up.
(I was wrong).
At first I didn’t know it was the gluten until I did a “gluten challenge”. After just a few days my face, back and neck all cleared up.
Looks like I will be living a gluten free, vegan life. Which honestly just translates to actually paying (even closer) attention to what I eat. There ain’t nothin wrong with that! Knowledge is power, and ignorance really isn’t bliss. Not when your health can suffer from it. The gluten free diet is certainly trendy, but if a trend is bringing attention and increased demand of GF products then call me trendy.
Anyway, did someone say pancakes?
PB&J Banana Pancakes (V/GF)
MAKES ABOUT 10 SMALL PANCAKES
- 1.5 c gluten free pancake mix (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp flax meal
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- Optional: 2 tbsp maple syrup or 1 tbsp agave
- 1.5 tsp pure vanilla
- 1/3 c unsweetened applesauce
- 1 c almond milk
- TOPPINGS: peanut butter, pumpkin seeds, sliced bananas and any jelly or jam that you like)
- In a medium bowl, sift together the pancake mix, flax meal, cinnamon, and salt.
- In another bowl, combine the agave or maple syrup, pure vanilla, applesauce, and almond milk.
- Slowly add some of the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well, stirring continuously until there are no longer any lumps.
- On a pan on medium heat greased with vegan butter, cook for 2-3 minutes (or until the pancakes start to bubble around the edges). Flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from pan. At this point you can eat them with some maple syrup and you are good to go!
- Top with sliced bananas, seeds and your favorite peanut butter and jelly.
*Adapted from Momables
Estimated nutrition facts for one serving 3 small pancakes (4 inch)
Calories: 520 Fat: 20g Saturated fat: 3g Carbohydrates: 75g Sugar: 22g Sodium: 350mg Fiber: 16g Protein: 18g