Growing up in Florida, I have learned a thing or two. Like how nothing goes with a hot bowl of chili quite like a warm slice of cornbread.
MAKES ONE LOAF
- 2 flax eggs
- 1 c flour
- 1 c cornmeal
- OPTIONAL: 1/4 c vegan cane sugar or 2 tbsp agave
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 c almond milk
- 1/4 c vegan butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Spray loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, make flax eggs by adding flax meal with hot water. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt until well-combined. Optional: add sugar at this time.
- Add the flax egg, almond milk, and butter to the flour mixture. Optional: add agave at this time.
- Mix until smooth.
- Pour into pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.*
- Cool for 10-15 minutes.
*If you are using a square pan where the batter will be spread out more, bake for 20 minutes and check with toothpick. Cooking time is increased for the loaf pan due to thickness.