Throughout this process of lifestyle and dietary change, I am becoming more in tune with my body- I try to listen to it more. There were days that I had sharp abdominal pains, nausea, itchy skin, irritable bowels and terrible breakouts. I never knew why and never paid attention to what I was eating or doing on days when the symptoms were the worst. Now I can tell what has negative impacts on my physical and mental health. Eat good, feel good, right?
After a weekend eating delicious vegan festival-style food like tacos, burritos and burgers, I still had this incessant craving for street food. One problem- I had huge breakout out on my face, constipation and just an overall sluggish feeling. All the fried donuts, greasy tacos and cheesey pasta were all fun and games-until someone gets hurt.
But really, though.
So to kill this taco craving I went to one of my favorite vegan sources- Thug Kitchen. If you haven’t heard of them, now you have. The recipes make me laugh and the food makes me feel good.
What else could you ask for?
Their drunken cauliflower tacos are filled with fresh vegetables and minimal amounts of oil. Just what the doctor ordered!
Adapted from the original recipe by Thug Kitchen, printed in their official cookbook
- YIELD: Makes 9 tacos
- TOTAL TIME: 45 minutes
- 2 10 oz bags of pre chopped cauliflower or 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 3/4 c beer
- 1/4 c vegetable broth
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1.5 tsp liquid aminos
- 1.5 tbsp hot sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 9 flour or corn tortillas (I used street taco size)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Optional: chopped cilantro, your favorite salsa, sour cream or cheese
- 1 10 oz bag of pre chopped green cabbage or 1/2 head of green cabbage
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Optional: 1/3 c chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add: beer, vegetable broth, lime juice, liquid aminos, hot sauce, and garlic. Once warm, add the cauliflower florets and simmer for about 90 seconds then drain.
- Toss the chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, garlic powder, salt and olive oil together in a large bowl.
- Add the cauliflower and onion and stir until well coated.
- Place it all on a baking sheet and cook for about 20 minutes, or until lightly browned. For best results, flip cauliflower at 10 minutes.
- Go make the slaw and then assemble your tacos.
- In a small bowl, mix all slaw ingredients together.
- Add it to your tacos along with whatever your heart desires.