Chocolate. Peanut butter. Match made in heaven, amirite?
I wanted to come up with a protein packed healthy-ish substitute for my Reese’s peanut butter cup or Almond Joy cravings. Making energy balls is quick and easy which I LOVE. But most recipes call for medjool dates. This time around, I wanted something straight up:
Instead of dates, the base of these protein balls is almond meal (pulverized almonds). One quarter-cup serving of almond flour contains 138 calories, 5 grams of protein and 11 grams of fat. Of the 11 grams of fat, 7 grams are heart healthy monounsaturated fats, and less than 1 gram is saturated fat.
Another protein source is from Orgain’s Organic Plant Based Protein. One scoop has 75 calories and 11 grams of protein. I am not much of a calorie or macros girl. Point is, these snacks can carry you over and provide wholesome energy!
Raw Vegan Chocolate PB Energy Balls
MAKES 9 BALLS
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 scoop plant based protein (I used Orgain sweet vanilla bean)
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 2 tbsp flax seeds
- 4 tbsp nut butter (peanut, almond, or cashew, etc)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Optional: shredded coconut, chia seeds
- Blend/food process all ingredients until incorporated.
- Roll into balls.
- Place in the fridge for a few minutes.
- Roll balls individually in coconut shreds, cacao powder, flax seeds, or chia seeds.