Back home in Orlando it’s a nice 95 degrees and sunny. Here in Iowa it is 42 degrees and raining. Needless to say I woke up needing something to warm me up- because let’s be honest here- this Florida girl was not stepping out to get Starbucks in these kind of conditions.
I like my coffee to be strong, creamy and sweet. After trying all different types of store bought dairy free creamers ranging from almond to coconut- I could never achieve that creamy, frothy goodness I was craving.
My husband and I decided to try making our own cashew milk this fine morning. I have read so many posts and blogs about how amazing this would be and boy were they right. If you haven’t already tried this here is the beginner level version of nut milks. There are special tools, tricks and methods out there but if you are just winging it or on a budget- then this is the way to go! Especially if you’re just using this as a quick coffee creamer! However, if you want this for drinking cold or with cereal- that’s another story.
CASHEW MILK CREAMER
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked in water for at least 1 hour (not necessary to soak but recommended)
- 3 cups water
- Optional: vanilla extract for flavor or maple syrup for sweetness
- Drain the cashews from the soaking water and rinse under cold water.
- Place in a high speed blender with water and blend on the highest setting of your blender for 1-2 minutes or until the milk is smooth and frothy.
- I blended for a few extra minutes since I don’t have a super amazing blender like a vitamix. Strain through a mesh colander.
This cashew milk latte was so so good.
CARAMEL CASHEW LATTE
- 1 1/2 cups cashew milk
- 1 cup brewed coffee (I used Cafe Bustelo Espresso)
- Splash of caramel syrup
- Optional: vegan cane sugar or coconut sugar to sweeten
- Drain the cashews from the soaking water and rinse under cold water. Place in a high speed blender with the rest of the ingredients for the milk and blend on the highest setting of your blender for 1-2 minutes or until the milk is smooth and frothy.
- In a small saucepan heat the cashew milk and syrup. Bring to a high simmer. Add optional sugar.
- Divide the coffee between two mugs and top each mug with the frothy milk.