Alright, it ain’t no secret over here that I love me some chocolate. There’s just something so soothing and therapeutic about a slice of rich, chocolate cake. Consider this recipe your medicine for the day. DOCTOR’S ORDERS!
This cake right here is
Light yet dense
My youngest brother’s favorite flavor of life is chocolate, so this one was for him on his special day. He is a sweet boy who deserved an extra sweet cake.
Birthdays are what got me into the kitchen. One of my first jobs in college was hosting birthday parties for kids age 2-14 years old at an indoor carnival. I used to look at all of the intricate and creative cakes that would come in, in AWE. So one day I just decided to try it out. I have always been into art but never really into baking. But from that day on, I never quit.
VEGAN CHOCOLATE CAKE
MAKES A 3 LAYERED 6 INCH CAKE OR 2 DOZEN CUPCAKES
- 2 cup plain unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1.5 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp coffee extract
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 3 6 in round cake pans or line muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a bowl, whisk almond milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside for a few minutes to allow it to thicken up.
- Then add the sugar, oil, extracts and whisk until a foam appears.
- In another bowl, combine together the rest of the ingredients (dry).
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in two batches. Beat mixture until no large lumps are present.
- Pour into prepped pans or liners.
- Baking time for 6 inch cakes filled 3/4 took exactly 30 min for my oven. They are done when a toothpick placed in the center comes out clean.
- Baking time for the cupcakes took 17-21 minutes.