Can we just take a second and appreciate the goodness that is a quesadilla? Crunchy, soft, cheesy and handheld- I mean come on. At first when I was making the transition to veganism, I thought well, looks like I will be a vegetarian forever because, CHEESE.
WRONG-O! As with just about everything else thus far- butter, milk, sour cream, eggs- there are alternatives. Plant-based, cruelty-free alternatives. Like this “Better Than Sour Cream Sour Cream” by Tofutti…quite possibly the best I have ever had!
Whether you are vegan, or you just love your quesadillas- try this one out!
Sweet Potato Black Bean Quesadillas
- 2 sweet potatoes, boiled + mashed
- 1 can black beans, drained + rinsed
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 clove minced garlic or 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- dairy free cheese of choice (I used Daiya’s Sharp Cheddar)
- vegan tortillas (I used whole wheat)
- Optional toppings for serving: dairy free sour cream (I used Tofutti), diced avocado, salsa, chopped fresh cilantro, or try my quick guacamole recipe here
- Peel and cut sweet potatoes into 1-2 inch cubes. Boil potatoes until tender- usually about 8-12 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and mash in a bowl.
- Add rinsed beans, cilantro, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, turmeric, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix well to incorporate all ingredients.
- To make quesadillas I used a lightly greased frying pan (using vegan butter) over medium heat. Place one tortilla down on pan and sprinkle some cheese. Then spread on mash mixture, depending on how thick you like it!
- Sprinkle with a little more cheese then place the other tortilla on top. Cook that baby until nice warm and golden (not too toasty!)
- Flip it over and cook on the other side for the same effect!