Black bean patty recipes have been my go-to these days to satisfy that part in my soul that craves a warm, cheesy burger. Unlike my college days of 1$ menu binges at McDonald’s, I have nothing to feel guilty about with this gem right here!
Here I will share with you my favorite black bean burger! (unfortunately I don’t have any pictures of the BBQ bath the patties got before I devoured them but just have some imagination here).
This recipe was adapted from Minimalist Baker who has ignited my love for cooking plant-based meals. Click here to find her wonderful recipe and her website (if you haven’t already). Let’s do this:
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 1 hour 10 mins
Total time: 1 hour 30 mins
Cuisine: Vegan and Gluten Free
- 2 large sweet potatoes, mashed
- 1 c cooked brown rice
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ c green onion, diced
- ½ cup pecan meal
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
Serve it With
- Whole wheat buns
- Avocado or guacamole
- Tomato or pico de gallo
- BBQ sauce, hot sauce or ketchup
- A salad
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut sweet potatoes into halves and brush with olive oil. Place flesh-side down on a bare baking sheet. Bake potatoes for 30 minutes –or until soft- remove from oven and set aside. Reduce oven heat to 375 degrees F.
- Cook the rice while the potatoes are in the oven. Short on time? My favorite timesaver is buying cooked brown rice from Trader Joe’s and stocking up my freezer! Quinoa would work great here too!
- Add half of the black beans to a bowl and mash them. Then mash the sweet potato and add to the same bowl. Add the rest of the whole beans, cooked rice, green onion, pecan meal and all spices. Mix well.
- Add more nut meal if the mixture feels too loose. The mixture should be moldable and very wet.
- Measure ¼ cup using a measuring cup or a large spoon. Mold a patty in your hands and place on a lightly greased baking sheet and gently press down to mash.
- Bake burgers for about 35-45 minutes (the longer you cook them, the firmer they will get so cook to your preference . At 20 minutes, flip burgers.
- Serve on buns and add toppings of your choice! This would go great on a bed of greens as well!